Maisa Abd Elhadi is a popular Isreali-Palestinian actress who was allegedly shot and hurt in the leg by Israeli forces on May 9, 2021, while participating in a nonviolent protest in Haifa against the forcible eviction of Palestinian families from their homes in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood of East Jerusalem.
Recently, the news took over and she was arrested by the Isreal Police for making certain comments on endorsing Hamas. Curious to know the insider story about this? Keep reading!
In 2014, Maisa Abd Elhadi debuted as an actress in the movie “Eyes of a Thief”. In addition to this, she has appeared in a number of other films, including The Worthy, 3000 Nights, Baghdad Central, Huda’s Salon, Tel Aviv On Fire, and others.
Maisa became well-known worldwide after starring in World War Z alongside Brad Pitt. She has also contributed to initiatives that illuminate the culture and reality of the Palestinian people.
Maisa reportedly participated in a nonviolent protest on May 9, 2021, in Haifa, against the forcible eviction of Palestinian families from their houses in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood of East Jerusalem. Regretfully, she suffered injuries from Israeli forces during this protest.
Hadi allegedly posted a photo of a bulldozer breaching the Gaza-Israel border fence during the October 7 attack by the Islamist militant group Hamas, which Israel claims killed over 1,400 people.
According to the Hamas government in Gaza, more than 5,000 people have been killed as a result of Israel’s retaliatory strikes on the coastal territory. She captioned a photo, “Let’s go Berlin-style,” pointing to the fall of the Berlin Wall, which divided Germany until 1989.
Her lawyer, Jaafar Farah, who is also the director of the human rights organization Mousawat, told AFP that she is accused of supporting terrorism. The 37-year-old actress has acted in a number of plays, movies, and television shows.
An Arab Israeli singer Dalal Abu Amneh was also briefly detained for one of her social media posts.
According to the outlet, police confirmed the arrest of “an actress and network influencer from Nazareth on suspicion of expressions of praise [for terror] and hate speech.” She has not, however, been named.
The actress received criticism on social media from her Israeli co-star, Ofer Shechter. In a post, he said, “I feel embarrassed by you. You ought to feel embarrassed of yourself. You act and star in our TV series and movies, you live in Nazareth, and then you stab us in the back.”
Lesser Known Facts About Maisa
- Actress Maisa from Palestine gained fame for her role in the British crime television series “Baghdad Central” in 2020
- She grew up in Nazareth, Israel, in a middle-class family.
- She began her career as an actress in theater and has performed in numerous plays in the Palestinian community.
- “3000 Nights” in 2015, “The Reporters of Sara and Saleem” in 2018, and “Tel Aviv on Fire” in 2018 are a few of her international co-productions.
- She appeared as a host at the Palestinian Music Expo in 2019.
- She has also been a part of the judging panel at the Festival International Cinema in 2016 which is mainly for short film productions.
- She is very fond of dogs. She has a dog named Meister which she keeps posting about on social media.
- Maisa loves to travel and sing in her free time.
- She has been featured on the cover page of Lilac magazine.
- She speaks Hebrew, English, and Arabic very fluently.
- Maisa was shot and injured by Israeli police in Haifa in 2021 while protesting the forcible removal of several Palestinian families from their homes in the east Jerusalem neighborhood of Sheikh Jarrah.